Lila Moore: Why Goddess Feminism, Activism, or Spirituality?

The Quest for Wholeness by Lila Moore

My first piece of performance art was a ritual inspired by Isis. However, as a young artist, my interest in combining art and ritual was devalued by my teachers and critics alike. I felt isolated and persecuted. Only after relocating to London was I able to gradually understand that my personal and creative aspiration was integral part of a collective and global feminine and feminist awakening. I realised that personal experiences of women have political perspectives, and that being a contemporary woman artist positions me in the midst of historical and cultural enterprise.

As an artist-film-maker and scholar, I have regarded my work as a spiritual quest, exploring through dance-ritual and art films the interaction of the body and psyche with the natural environment and technology. In the 21st century, my interest in the healing and transforming aspects of images on screen has been combined with a growing sense of activism. It seems inconceivable to take images of nature out of context by ignoring the ecological holocaust which is evident everywhere. I have felt compelled to ask whether the needs of the body and mind can be separated from the needs of the Earth?

Likewise, it has become ethically difficult to signify the feminine or the goddess outside the oppression, prejudices and mounting challenges that still affect women around the world.

Currently there is a growing global movement which gathers the combined powers of established and young artists, scientists and activists as never before. Screen-based technology and the internet have amplified Artivisim (art+activism) and have given a voice to minority groups and individuals wherever they may be. My recent involvement in activist peace events and environmental projects has made me realise the potential available in integrating art film, ritual and interactive media in small-scale though global settings. The time is ripe for the diffusion of women's spirituality with evolving and transformative views of life on Gaia, our home planet.

Lila Moore, PhD
Jerusalem/London
http://www.screeningthespirit.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This is an ongoing collective writing project, initiated by Magoism: The Way of S/He and Mother Tree Sanctuary in response to the question, "Why Goddess Feminism, Activism, or Spirituality?" We will feature different women's answers here and on the Magoism blog in the months to come as part of this project.

Contributions are welcome.  Please email magoism@gmail.com or join the discussion on the Magoism group on Facebook. 

Comments