Ashes and Spark by K. A. Laity


Art by Liliana Kleiner


I chase the night like a lover
Black velvet under my nails 
I taste stars on my tongue 
And sleep amongst the satyrs 
Nest with owls and their eggs 
Because I am a mother too, 
Creator of monsters they say 
My children have eyes of flame 
And howls that speak your pain 
I would not trade my life for anything 
As poor as that man who yelped 
The first time I bit him 
From the ashes I too rise 
Though my hair is black 
My fire is red, my ink eternal 
You cannot contain my spark


K. A. Laity is an award-winning author, scholar, critic and arcane artist. Her books include How to Be Dull, White Rabbit, Dream Book, A Cut-Throat Business, Lush Situation, Owl Stretching, Unquiet Dreams, Chastity Flame, and Pelzmantel. She has edited My Wandering Uterus, Respectable Horror, Weird Noir, Noir Carnival and Drag Noir, plus written many short stories, scholarly essays, songs, and more. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.

Comments