Noumenal woman by Adele Tomlin



You can shroud me in black and
Shave me clean.
You can paint my nails and
Pump up my breasts.
You can brainwash my daughters and
Butcher my sons.
You can cripple my feet and
Castrate my clit.
I’m still a woman,
Noumenally.
Noumenal woman,
That’s me.
You can stuff money in my hole and
Bleed me dry.
You can call me bitch
slut, cunt and whore.
You can hold me down and
Hustle me hard.
You can gag my voice and
Grind my mind.
I’m still a woman,
Noumenally.
Noumenal Woman,
That’s Me.
See we don’t need a throne to
Be the Mother queen.
We don’t need a man to
Solve our mystery.
Whatever you think
about woman-Kind.
Our child bearing hips
can never lie.
We’re still women,
Noumenally.
Noumenal Women,
are We.

Inspired and dedicated to ‘phenomenal women’ everywhere.
Adele Tomlin Copyright 2010



This poem was inspired by, and dedicated to, Maya Angelou and phenomenal women everywhere.

It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman,
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.
Maya Angelou


Painting by Arna Baartz

Comments