Debbie Willis: Why Goddess Feminism, Activism, or Spirituality?


First I googled the definition of feminism:

fem·i·nism
ˈfeməˌnizəm/
noun
noun: feminism


1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

Now, I look at my point of view of feminism and I notice that I advocate “women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.” I, also, notice that the current American Congress seems to be at war with women in that congress passes laws that disrespect women politically, socially, and economically. I’m not against men; I am for equal rights.

It seems to me like women are looking for respect. I know I am. I am looking for equal rights. Not only equal rights for women, but for equal rights for all beings (and that’s a subject for another time).

I know what is right for me and I don’t need someone else’s validation. I hear sexual words to harass me as a woman. I hear derogatory terms to describe me and other women and sometimes it is other women who disrespect me.
No, I do not advocate women above men. I advocate equality. I advocate respect for all beings.

Too much I see behavior in the world that is disrespectful of others. I see selfish behaviors. Okay.I seems to have a judgmental attitude. I am mindful of it and as I proceed, I change. Don’t we all?

Yes, I wonder if being for something reinforces being against something, so I decide I am.


-Debbie Willis
Fremont, CA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an ongoing collective writing project, initiated by Magoism: The Way of S/He and Mother Tree Sanctuary in response to the question, "Why Goddess Feminism, Activism, or Spirituality?" We will feature different women's answers here and on the Magoism blog in the months to come as part of this project.

Contributions are welcome.  Please email magoism@gmail.com or join the discussion on the Magoism group on Facebook.

Comments