My College Roommate - Foreword by Priscilla Warner

Art by Liliana Kleiner



In my sixty-five years on earth, I’d barely heard anyone mention her name.

I’d heard of Lilith Fair, a concert tour organized by Sara McLachlan in the late 90’s, featuring a roster of female artists.

But Lilith herself?

We were certainly never on a first name basis, despite the fact that I had studied the Old Testament at a Hebrew Day School, and Lilith was said to have been Adam’s original companion in the Garden of Eden.

Of course, I was mostly taught by stern men wearing black suits back then, and they were clearly not focused on a feminist interpretation of the religion that they dominated so thoroughly.

So when I was asked to write a foreword for this book, for the first time I found myself doing some research on the woman who is now just as relevant – if not more so – than she has been for centuries.

Lilith was Hillary before Hillary, Gloria before Gloria, Oprah before Oprah…

You get the idea.

It’s surprising that I was never drawn to learn about the female archetype said to be the predecessor of every strong woman on earth. Because after sixth grade, my father decided to send me to an all-girl Quaker school. I graduated from that high school with a certain amount of confidence, perhaps because I’d never measured myself against boys academically.

But when I got to college, I became very distracted; I didn’t know who to be in relation to the young men I saw all around me.

I wasn’t used to feeling a man’s gaze upon me in class, as I struggled with an Art History quiz or tried delving into Russian literature.

I could have used a friend like Lilith when I walked across the campus, disoriented and self-conscious.

Lilith would have been a wonderful college roommate.

She would have taught me to wear whatever the hell I wanted to wear.

To cover myself up completely or bare whatever body parts I chose to bare.

I could have dyed my hair any color, tattooed anything I wanted onto myself.

I could have stayed home or partied all night.

I could have slept with a hundred men or remained a virgin.

I could have gained fifty pounds instead of worrying about my waistline.

But better late than never.

Perhaps learning about Lilith in my seventh decade on earth was exactly the right timing for me.

Women are hard on themselves; and they’re sometimes hard on each other.

So I won’t beat myself up about not ushering Lilith into my life when I was younger.

I had other Liliths in my life – the four strong, wise female therapists who helped me heal from hundreds of panic attacks and decades of anxiety.

Deep inside of myself, it turns out that I was also Lilith all along – strong, powerful, sassy, bold, steady in my convictions, joyful and self-accepting.

I just needed a few good women to teach me that.

And one good man.

My husband of thirty-seven years turned out to be a true feminist, since he demanded only one thing of me – that I become the very best version of myself. The person I never even dreamed I could be.

Soft when I want to be soft, kicking and screaming at times, a Buddhisty-Jew, a sensitive artist, a dutiful daughter, a sometimes defiant wife, an advocate for myself, for my husband and our two beautiful sons, an artist, writer, haphazard cook, well meaning friend, frightened, strong, funny, confident and bewildered woman humbled and grateful, nakedly authentic as I face the next chapter of my life.

A Lilith in Priscilla’s clothing.

An excerpt from the upcoming Girl God Anthology, Original Resistance: Reclaiming Lilith, Reclaiming Ourselves.

In the aftermath of 9/11, Priscilla Warner co-authored the New York Times bestseller The Faith Club, a memoir about her interfaith relationship with two other New York mothers. After traveling across the country for three years, speaking to audiences in churches, synagogues, and mosques, she vowed to heal from the panic attacks that had plagued her for decades. Priscilla learned how to meditate and wrote about her adventures with Buddhist teachers, therapists and healers in another bestselling memoir, Learning to Breathe.

Priscilla lives outside of New York City where is working on her next book, and making art inspired by her childhood drawings. You can find her at http://priscillawarnerbooks.com/


Comments