Save the Children by Shamecca Long


"By Any Means...Homage to Harriet Tubman" by Alyscia Cunningham



I am not afraid of these conversations.
As a matter of fact,
I'm armed.
Weaving a weaponry of
Knowledge.
Self-defense.
Voice detonating hiding places.
You will not find solace
In silenced homes.
Broken heart.
Single parent shame.
There's a name for women like me.
Women who've swallowed
Their tongues
To allow their mothers to live.
Women whose bodies
Become wasteland.
Punching bag.
Toys.
For the men who never become men.
I am waiting for you.
I have a daughter.
I am waiting for you.
I have a daughter.
It is waiting for you.
Near my daughter.
Nestled where you slip into dreams.
Prepared to split your body open
Should your mind
Desire the innocence
I have been robbed of.

-Shamecca Long, an excerpt from Single Mothers Speak on Patriarchy

Comments