The greatest (male) influence of my life & work: Malcolm X



Malcolm X was and is the greatest (male) influence of my life and work. He is one of the few men I have truly admired and loved in history. Over the years, I have read almost exclusively women. Too many of my former male heroes have disappointed when I dug more deeply into their lives, particularly in how they treated the women therein. Malcolm was no saint, but he was as good as it gets. His brilliant and revolutionary speeches are still relevant.




Feminists can learn so much from Malcolm about self-defense, organizing, and overcoming patriarchal mindsets and limiting beliefs.

Today would have been Malcolm's 91st birthday.

May 19th is always a sad day for me, filled with tears - but also a day of remembering and of resolve. Join me in honoring Malcolm and carrying on the work that he was stopped from completing.

Happy

I highly recommend Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable.




Comments