It’s about integrity


"I haven’t owned a car since I was eighteen. I’m a vegan because I like to eat as low on the food chain as I can. I do my best to buy locally produced, nonpackaged foods as much as possible. (Even in the vegan community there are a lot of processed foods and packaging.) Most of my clothes come from thrift stores. I do my best not to use disposables. If I go someplace to get tea, and they won’t let me use my own cup, I’ll walk out. I’ve walked out because a restaurant wouldn’t use my reusable to-go container, and I’m not going to trash the planet for a meal. I’m careful about lights and water and all those things that are almost passé at this point. I realize that it’s the large systems that have to change, but I feel I have no right to demand that change if I’m not constantly looking to see how I can lighten my own footprint. It’s not about judgment or moralism or perfection. It’s about integrity."

 ~Julia Butterfly Hill, from The Sun


Painting by Elisabeth Slettnes

Comments