What can boys and men gain from the divine feminine?



You wrote The Girl God for all your children, including a son and two stepsons. What do you think boys and men can gain from learning about and embracing the divine feminine, both within themselves and within culture?

The Girl God is equally important for boys—although I realize most of them are probably not going to want to sit around reading it in front of their friends. My son was initially more fascinated with the book when it arrived than my daughter. Mostly, I think, because he didn’t realize all that time that I would actually have a real book to show for all my efforts. He was so proud of me, and that continues to mean a great deal to me.

My step sons are older and are fortunate to have a father who doesn’t fit the traditional mold. My husband is a rare man. His values certainly informed the creation of The Girl God and of both his boys.

The role of “boy” or “man” can be really hard. The idea of a harsh male God is really exacting for everybody. The feminine side of God is critically important because all of us need love and nurturing. You don’t get that from the Bible or the Qu’ran – unless you are really looking for it.

We plan to write a book specifically for boys, based on a love letter that I wrote to my son that is a wish for all boys. I am working on quotes to support boys specifically as well.


Excerpt from my interview with Elizabeth Hall Magill

Painting by Elisabeth Slettnes

Comments