My Life Journey: Christianity, Islam & the Divine Feminine




Your life story is both interesting and inspiring—you came to the divine feminine within two different religions as part of your personal healing process. Can you tell us a bit about your spiritual journey?

I was a deeply spiritual teenager. I attended church almost every day and spent hours reading the bible and praying in addition. On some levels, I’m happy about that. I never got into trouble with drugs, sex or alcohol. Those choices can be hard to undo – especially for girls.

On the other hand, it took me a long time to be able to do anything on my own terms just because I wanted to. I have lived most of my life for the benefit of other people – mostly men.

I went to a Southern Baptist college to study religion when I was 18. It was the first time I was away from my family and it was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. As I studied the historical, cultural and linguistic roots of the Bible, I began to lose my faith.

I transferred to another college before ultimately coming home for good. I was never able to believe in Christianity again. I called myself an atheist, but I was more like a struggling agnostic. It was very difficult for me as someone who had leaned on my faith for most of my life.

How I came to Islam could be an entire book
. I will try to be concise: Islam gave me a platform where I could believe in something again. And, for most people this will probably sound strange, but I found my rights and worth as a woman within that faith.

What I have come to realize over the years is that the Divine Feminine was squashed out in both religions – and She needs to come back for either of them to be complete.


Excerpt from my Interview with Elizabeth Hall Magill

Comments