I’m thinking by Lennée Reid

Art by Arna Baartz


I am thinking about becoming a lesbian
As a self defense mechanism
Protecting my kid from being molested
Or me being beaten again
I’m thinking about trusting statistics
And not becoming one by building
A permanent wall protecting me from predators
Except except I don’t know how
I see beautiful kind sweet women and I think
We could communicate with each other
Maybe she’s a good cuddler
I wonder if she’ll like my cooking
I am thinking about becoming a lesbian
Give myself a new life
To resurrect all those times I was bi
Live a life where I don’t just remember
She tasted like candy
Multiply those experiences in to a relationship
With more depth and complexity than an threesome
I am thinking being gay would be a great way
To tell guys to go fuck them selves
When they lick their lips and say
My eight year old walks with a switch in her hips
Just like her mama
I am thinking of becoming a new me
I am thinking of letting myself free
Yeah maybe I’ll try being a lesbian

-Lennée Reid, a selection from the upcoming Girl God Anthology, Single Mother's Speak on Patriarchy.

Lennée Reid is a geeky veganish universalist witch doctor mama bear poet activist survivor goddess on the spectrum who doesnt like labels that uses punctuation when she d@mn well pleases smile emoticon period She is trying to make sense of it all and find peace. In addition to many chapbooks, Lennée was published in the UPS DIRT! project, Creative Colloquy, and her poems and photos are often in "Works In Progress". Lennée repped Olympia Peoples Mic in NYC for WOWPS 2016, has featured and slammed across the country, and was heard on the KAOS 89.3 lit show "Tell It Slant". Hear her revolutionary poetry at protests, marches, and vigils where Lennée speaks for the trees and calls bullsh!t, while advocating spiritual harmony. Lennée loves organic fair trade anything, road trips, karaoke, and random syncronicities. Namaste.
Find her @lenneereid mamamystic.wordpress.com

Comments