Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Her name isn't proclaimed from pulpits


The feminine face of God is not easily found in mainstream Christian denominations. She is almost always discovered while we are roaming the terrain of the soul in quiet contemplation. Her name isn't proclaimed from pulpits , and there are few signs pointing to her. We have to discover her ourselves as Merton describes in his 1963 Hagia Sophia.

There is in all things an inexhaustible sweetness and purity,
a silence that is a fount of action and joy.
It rises up in wordless gentleness and flows out to me
from the unseen roots of all created being,
welcoming me tenderly,
saluting me with indescribable humility.
This is at once my own being, my own nature,
and the Gift of my Creator's Thought and Art within me,
speaking as Hagia Sophia, 
speaking as my sister, Wisdom.

Passage from Sophia Rising: Awakening Your Sacred Wisdom Through Yoga by Monette Chilson

Painting by Elisabeth Slettnes

No comments:

Post a Comment